Spicy Tuna Bowl
Ingredients: serves 2
½ cup basmati rice
¾ cup water
½ inch cinnamon stick
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp whole cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
½ lb sushi grade tuna cut into small cubes
2 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp Sriracha sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup Kewpie mayo
2 tbsp Sriracha sauce
¼ cup granny smith apple, chopped
⅓ cup cucumber, sliced into half moons
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp corn, lightly sauteed
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
- Start by cooking the rice. Rinse the rice under cold water and add the rice, water, and spices to a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Once boiled, cover with a lid and turn down the heat to the lowest setting. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked through. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf, cumin, cardamom, and cinnamon. Fluff with a fork and set it aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Sriracha, and sesame oil.
- In a separate bowl, add the cut tuna and pour the soy sauce mixture on top. Mix well and let it marinate.
- Meanwhile, make the spicy mayo dressing by combining Sriracha and Kewpie mayo and set it aside.
- To make the salad, add the granny smith apple, cucumber, pomegranate, and corn to a small mixing bowl. Drizzle in about a tablespoon of the spicy mayo dressing, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Build your bowl with the cooked basmati rice as the base and top with tuna, salad, and a drizzle of spicy mayo dressing.